Ponce Port Development
The Port of Ponce is located in the municipality of Ponce, on the south coast of the island, towards the Caribbean Sea. Ponce is the second largest city in Puerto Rico, by population and by territorial extension. Since 1911, this city has had the right to operate a franchise for a port operation, granted by the former Executive Council, by special law of the United States Congress, approved on June 11, 1906.
At this time, the Ponce Port Authority continues to receive cruise ship visits and make efforts to attract new cruise lines. In addition, it continues with the marketing efforts of the facilities, to increase the volume of cargo handled, as well as to develop new rental, logistics and manufacturing businesses. Alliances have also been developed with entities such as the Southern Chamber of Commerce, the Corporation of the Southern Free Zone, the Autonomous Municipality of Ponce, the Department of Economic Development and Commerce and Rums of Puerto Rico, which support our development initiatives. economic of the Port of Ponce.
The development strategy is to convert the facility into a third generation multi-cargo port, aimed at meeting the growing needs of the container ship sector, supply chain management and the demands of globalization.
The objective of the administration is to see the port as a dynamic node within a complex distribution and production network. In response to the needs of this network, the port is transformed into an integrated transport center and a logistics platform for international trade.
- Develop maritime connectivity in the south to allow the port to compete in the Caribbean region
- Optimize the supply chains that serve the island
- Minimize the logistics costs of the region
The strategies developed are based on 3 main stages:
- Establish the operational, commercial, legal structure and procedures for teams and stakeholders
- Product differentiation, in terms of services, rates, quality and value-added services
- Demand analysis
- Business development
- Accessible business niches
- Set base volumes
- Develop stability and establish the foundations of the business to achieve growth
- Establish period for creating reputation, business relationships and evaluating records
- Preferred alternative as port
- Value-added products and services
- Regional hub
- HUB of the Americas